It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am

Getting into IT

A place to hang out and have fun
(Not for troubleshooting questions)

Moderator: lilpinkflower

Getting into IT

Postby ctjonb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 am

Hello all, I am new at this and have been practicing what I learned from the A+ class
to give myself experience till I can get an IT job.
but it seems like night and day as to what I have learned in class verses what actually takes place in trouble shooting. Granted the teacher I had only wanted us to memorize the book to pass the A+ cert. unfortunately we never had a whole lot of lab time to apply what we learned in relation to fixing pc's!
So yah, hey I passed the A+. Great, But what do I do now?
My goal is getting a job working on pc's or in a large corporation, But I am finding it tough with out the hands on, can someone please lead in the right direction. as to what I am going to need to know as far as pottential future classes and also some specialty programs that are geared towards trouble shooting and repair, spyware, secerity threats stuff like that. I mean like what does geek squad and those guys use to figure things out that exceeds the norm or obvious fix's.
So my thoughts at the moment are that untill someone give's me the opportunity to get my foot in the door. I would like to get my hands on as many of friends and families pc's as I can to give myself some hands. That way I can bring more to the table at an interview. So any and all replies would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
ctjonb
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Getting into IT

Postby Gecko » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:26 pm

ctjonb,

http://www.malwareremoval.com has a Malware Removal University that you can enroll in.
You have to join their site first then go to this page to start the enrollment:
http://www.malwareremoval.com/university.php

As for programs like Geek squad have you have to build up your own collection of "Tools" like Bart's PE to create your own set of CDs to boot each windows version when a system won't boot so you can then do manual repairs of the hives. Heren's boot disk also has a number of "Tools" good for HDDs and infection removal. Trinity Rescue Kit for resetting passwords, recovery and repair operations for windows system through a linux boot able cd.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Return to The Lounge