It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 am

water cooling fail

A place to hang out and have fun
(Not for troubleshooting questions)

Moderator: lilpinkflower

water cooling fail

Postby Psymon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 am

Earlier toda...... Yesterday....

One of the pipes in my water cooling broke. My first clue that there was a problem was my PC shutting down from over heating.

I take the side off to have a look and "luckily" only a little had spilled into the bottom of the case. None had dripped onto any components.

After much fumbling, spilling, and binning, I'd managed to rid myself of everything water cooling. The down side being I'd rid myself off all cooling for both CPU and chipset.

A quick call later and I was in my dads car heading home home where the old fans that came with the CPU and mobo were.

I had to take everything apart to get to the heat sink fit, which I'd never done before with my own PC. I didn't even put it together, back when I was scared I'd damage something I'd spent so much on.

With the new... old... heat sink on, I plugged everything back in and somehow did a far tidier job the whoever I had build it. Plugged in power, monitor, hit the power button, nothing...

Silence. Wasn't working. Had a closer look and saw the main ATX power into the mobo hadn't been pushed all the way in. So I wedge it in properly and everything boots :D

Since the CPU was overclocked I went straight into the BIOS and did 'load optimised defaults'. That turned out to be a bad idea as after going through the POST, instead of booting the OS, it rebooted.

Back into the BIOS and load the old overclock settings and I boot with no problems.

Do a little stress test (Winrar benchmark is my choice) and the test levels off just shy of 60°C.

So, with the stock heat sink and fan, I'm now running cooler and quieter and far less cluttered than I ever was with water cooling.

Damn the bugger that ever talked me into it.

If anyone reading this has water cooling, make sure your pipes aren't too close to anything that gets especially hot. The pipes in my system seemed to be a little brown where they broke so I guess they were getting heated and cooled as I'd use and shut down my PC.

tl;dr, water cooling broke, dismantled and rebuilt whole system with air cooling, works cooler and quieter than water cooling did, rather chuffed that I managed to fix it.

Now I desperately need some sleep.
Psymon
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: water cooling fail

Postby liljim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Wow, im glad you got it sorted with no major damage. That was always my fear with water cooling and im glad you posted it.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Re: water cooling fail

Postby rockymark092 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:10 am

It is a nice post
rockymark092

Thanks received:0

Return to The Lounge