It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 pm

System Failure - Operating System question

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

System Failure - Operating System question

Postby jemmo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I was running Malwarebytes and I had a crash causing the sytem to reboot. I'm running (or rather I was running) XP pro.
Now, when the system boots, it goes through POST, gets to a driver file and reboots. And repeats. So I guess I have a corrupt driver file.
I have tried booting from a floppy but using DOS commands but I am unable to see the main C: drive. I can only 'CD' to a secondary drive with various files.
So, I'm wondering what the best option is.
What makes things worse, I'm damned if I can find where my XP CD is.
So I was thinking of getting a XP Pro OEM CD (off ebay) as they are quite cheap these days, then installing on a new hard drive, and connecting the dodgy C: drive as a slave and rescuing any personal data. The current drive is IDE, and I have a new SATA.
After this, I was thinking of getting one of the software packages I have sen that will transfer all of the installed programs etc onto the new hard drive.

But, my first question is, would I be better opting for a newer operating system, and would I be able to still connect the dodgy drive as a slave and use the transfer software?

Secondly, are these transfer tools any good (can anyone recommend one) or would I be better off just reinstalling all the programs I have?

Lastly, is there a better solution?

Thanks.
Jemmo
jemmo
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: System Failure - Operating System question

Postby liljim » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey jemmo

If it were me, i would go to win 7 and start fresh with software. I wouldnt even attempt to transfer over installed programs but i would add that drive just to get normal data off.

Alternately, at what point is the machine rebooting? what driver file? maybe we can straighten that prob out.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby jemmo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:57 pm

It was sticking at ACPI something in POST.

But I purchase a WIndows Rescue disc off ebay and managed to get it going.
It's been okay for a week or so now but just keeping an eye on it - nothing untoward has happened - other than McAfee eating all the resource (gotta get rid of McAfee).

The only other issue I have is trying to install more RAM, and I am getting the constant fast bleep code. According to the mobo manual this means 'Power'. But 'Power' what?

It will recognise 3 sticks but won't boot, 4 sticks and I get the bleep codes. All RAM is the same (Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G). I reckon it could be the mobo.
Jemmo
jemmo
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby icecube » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:28 am

Hi Jemmo

You probably have a bad stick of memory. Down load windows memory testor, here is a link. Burn the iso and run the test, great little program. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp-- it runs on boot in DOS so its quick.
icecube

Return to Windows XP and 2003