It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 am

2 Boots

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

2 Boots

Postby ColaBoy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Ive had to resurrect my old pc but it seems to behave strangley when I boot up. Its gets to the Win 98 title screen, goes blank, back to the title screen, blank again and then reboots. I then get the option about SAFE BOOTING cos WINDOWS failed to load last time. I safe boot and then simply RESTART my pc through the START menu and it loads fine(??).

Could it be my hard drive? I have run SCANDISK and its found no errors.
ColaBoy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Operating System: Windows XP

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby icecube » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:07 pm

It sounds like a power supply issue. I've noticed that on older machines, when they are turned off and left off for say 5 hours, the lube oil for the fans hardens up and the fans start spinning rather slowly for the first 5 minutes and then pick up speed, or forever stop :mad: . A slow fan on a power supply and or leaky capacitors might be what is causing your problem.

It could also be a driver confilict. While in safe mode, go to Device Manager and look at each device and see whats there, and write them down. If you installed 10 different video cards over time, they will all be listed. Next get out of safe mode and back into normal mode. Go back to Device Manager and compare whats listed in regular mode.
Now go back into safe mode and delete everything that wasn't present in regular mode.
and reboot. A word of warning when doing this, make sure that your cab files are on the hard drive. If in doubt, copy the win98 directory on the cd to the hard drive. That way if you delete a wrong item, like the cdrom drive, you will still be able to recover your system using the cab files.
icecube

Postby ColaBoy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks. I have looked at the device manager and seen nothing out of place. Like I said, the machine Im using at the moment ooooold, probably about 10 years old so maybe it could be the PSU. I'll pick a new one up at sum point and check it out.
ColaBoy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Operating System: Windows XP

Return to Windows XP and 2003