It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 pm

puter keeps shutting off

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

puter keeps shutting off

Postby lindablueyes » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi All. Help! When I get online and am on for a half and hour or so , sometimes a little longer sometimes a little shorter, my puter shuts down on me or goes black and I try to clt-alt-delete and nothing happens or an error comes up. I just usually have to shut down manually and restart. Also even though I go to start to shut down, when i start up again it goes to error and has to scan before I get on? Help.. I'm a newbee and do pretty well figuring out things, but this puzzles me,, I have w98, DSL.. :?: Pleasr thank you to any one who can help...Lindablueyes
lindablueyes

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby freelobotomy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 am

Sounds like a power supply or heat problem. Blow out all your fans, inside & out, w/canned air (be careful not to invert the can). Win98 poses another dilemma in mid 2006 but I suppose there is hope...that's about all you have, heh. Can you post the specs of your machine?
freelobotomy
Geek
Geek

Postby icecube » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 am

If you computer is rebooting, it could be a heat issue as freelobotomy suggested. But if the computer is still running it could be a bios setting turning the monitor off after 30 minutes of inactivity, or a screen saver.

there are some known issues with 98 power saving modes messing things up. Change them to never (hard drive and monitor) and you might be ok

Also it could be a bad monitor. Or the cables connecting the monitor to the computer could be loose. Another thing to check would be the video card. It could be rising out of its slot and needs to be pushed in (that doesn't sound like your issue though). Also video cards do go bad. :mad:
icecube

Return to Windows XP and 2003