It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 am

not exactly sure...

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

not exactly sure...

Postby modernsamurai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 am

my mom's comp, running i believe 2000, has been having some problems. it'll suddenly shut off, and when you try to turn it back on, the screen sometimes loads partially, but right when you'd go to safemode, usually before, it'll just crash again. when this happens, the cpu light and power light on the tower stay on, while the screen's on standby and the computer does nothing. every once in a while, if you plug it back in and turn it on, it'll work for a while, then just do the same thing in the next couple of days and be out of commition for quite a while. so, any clues? is it trashed?
modernsamurai
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: not exactly sure...

Postby Psymon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 am

sounds like an over heating problem. since it's running Microsoft 2000, it is fairly old now. I'd guess that the problem lies in the CPU or PSU. The fans are probably a bit worn out and aren't doing such a good job of cooling. It usually gives this effect of working for a bit, then after shutting itself down not working for a while, then after that while it's fine... for a bit.

You/She could use this as a good excuse to get a new PC :P Certainly could save you a lot more trouble than isolating and fixing the problem.
Psymon
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby modernsamurai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 am

the problem is we can't offord a new computer. so my current choices are either find a way to fix that one, or try to find several hundred dollars at once.
modernsamurai
Geek
Geek

Postby Psymon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Then I would suggest starting with a new PSU. If you don't have experience with changing the hardware in a PC then try and find an honest PC shop near you. you should be able to get a reliable PSU similar your current one's Wattage for about $40, £40, depending on where in the world you are.

add on labour fees and you're 1/4 of the cost towards a new PC :(

All the best.
Psymon
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby modernsamurai » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 am

well, i'm confident i could install it myself, and i know a place where i can get it cheap. thanks though, i'll give it a shot.
modernsamurai
Geek
Geek

Postby Psymon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:00 pm

hopefully not too cheap :P

(I'm only posting this video because I found it today and its relevant)
Psymon
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Return to Windows XP and 2003