Trojans

Commonly asked questions and thier answers
Not for asking questions

Moderator: PCguy

Trojans

Postby PCguy » Mon May 24, 2004 4:17 pm

Common questions ...

What is a trojan?
Trojans are malicious programs often used by hackers to attack target computers, usually to provide a backdoor into the system but sometimes just to cause destruction. Remote Access Trojans (RATs) are the most famous class of trojans and they usually come in two parts - a server that is sent to infect the victim, and a client that the hacker uses to connect to the server after the victim is infected. There are many ways that hackers can use to infect a target with a trojan, and careful security measures aren't always enough - a strong anti-trojan program can easily detect tens of thousands of trojans that would otherwise be near-impossible for a human to find.

I have an anti-virus program, do I need an anti-trojan program?
Leading anti-virus systems are good at detecting viruses, but relatively poor at trojan detection. One reason for this is that anti-virus researchers have a lot more to deal (such as over 50,000 viruses!) so they must limit how much time they spend on anti-trojan research.

So what can I do?
First released in 1997, TDS (Trojan Defence Suite) is one of the longest established anti-trojan programs in existence and today is widely considered to be the most powerful and comprehensive anti-trojan program by the Internet security community. It is the only anti-trojan program that has free daily database updates and is the only anti-trojan program supported by a fulltime team of dedicated internationally recognised anti-trojan professionals including Wayne Langlois, Gavin Coe and Jason Annice. You can even talk to them at the forum!

WARNING: Trojans are NOT viruses! Anti-virus scanners are unable to detect or deal with trojans at the same level TDS can.

Download in try this. A very good TDS. Link

Let me know what you think.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby freelobotomy » Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 am

Hmmm, link goes to "Portexplorer" & "Processguard". What happened to TDS? Thanks...
freelobotomy
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Gecko » Sat May 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Freelobotomy,

Sorry but the Trojan Defence Suite was discontinued about 1½ years after this post was made.

I myself am currently using TrojanHunter.
It has an active Guard system that stops most Trojans before they get in and also has a good scanning system.
If you use the 30 day trial you have to manually update the ruleset other than that it a good free program.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Return to FAQs