It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am

Booting Windows XP embedded from a USB stick/drive or CD and

Any other legacy version of Windows

Moderator: icecube

Booting Windows XP embedded from a USB stick/drive or CD and

Postby AnonygooseD » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:27 pm

I read that it's possible to boot windows xp and use it from a usb stick/drive or a cd-r by using installation files and BartPE, so is it possible to do the same for xp embedded?

WHY: i wanted a VERY small windows almost without any services/programs/features to boot it from a usb stick, because i don't need these stuff and i want the system to use minimum memory because i will then run programs from windows 9x/2k/xp on this windows so much of the memory will be dedicated to them to run rapidly and efficiently. i thought that windows ce won't do the job because it doesn't have high compatibility, also, there must be a file explorer and "plug and play" feature so my usb keyboard and mouse work

SO:
  • if you know any builds/editions/versions of xp embedded that are very small in size with minimum features and NOT like the normal >1GB version, tell me about them.
  • if you think there's another edition that is better for this purpose tell me about it too (should be as small as possible, keep in mind what i said earlier).
  • please give me steps on how to make images (out of installation files) so they can be booted live from usb or cd (no explanation needed just steps, and in a dummie kind of way...).

NO linux, vista or 7 related operating systems will do.

Any help is appreciated... :?
AnonygooseD

Operating System: Windows XP with Service Pack 3

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Booting Windows XP embedded from a USB stick/drive or CD

Postby keyboardcowboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

keyboardcowboy

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Return to Other Windows