It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 am

windows.old.000 removal

All versions of Windows 7, 2008 and Vista including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

windows.old.000 removal

Postby dollhobbs » Sun May 18, 2014 6:12 pm

I am trying to clear up space and delete old stuff on my pc and there are 2 files I am trying to remove that were created when I installed Vista then upgraded it to 64bit. They are windows.old and windows.old.000. When I try to delete them I get the notice that I don't have permission even though I am the only one on this PC and have full Admin rights.
I tried to delete them while in safe mode but it didn't work so came here to get some help.

This is a personal home PC
dollhobbs
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Operating System: Vista 64bit

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: windows.old.000 removal

Postby Gecko » Sun May 18, 2014 7:31 pm

dollhobbs.

You can delete those directories using Disk Cleanup.

Before you use Disk Cleanup, make sure that all of your files and settings are in Windows vista where you expect them to be. Deleting the Windows.old folder can’t be undone!!

Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Disk Cleanup.

In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, choose to clean up all of the files on the computer.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

When you finish selecting the files you want to delete, click OK, and then click Delete files to confirm the operation.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Re: windows.old.000 removal

Postby dollhobbs » Sun May 18, 2014 8:15 pm

THANKS for the precise easy to understand directions, worked like a charm. THUMBS UP
dollhobbs
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Operating System: Vista 64bit

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Return to Windows 7, 2008 and Vista