It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:50 am

Knoppix

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

Knoppix

Postby Raistlin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:50 am

Hello

I am keen to try an open source OS, and have heard about knoppix whixh appeals as I can learn to use it without changing any thing permanently (or so I hear).
Question is, do I have to burn it to CD or can I run it off HD??

Any help appreciated.

PS.

I tried to attach my signature to this, but the HTML just came up as text. Any one know what I did wrong?

(Sorry, first timer!)
Raistlin

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:59 am

Knoppix FAQ would be worth the time to read.It does have to be on cd,thats kinda the whole point to it.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby teststrips » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:38 pm

knoppix has a hard drive install program included on the CD... last version i had which was current 11-2003 included it, but it was still a beta program.

I ran off my HD for awhile, and it worked great... only major complaint i had was since it's based on Debian, the .rpm files that everyone has for installing new programs won't work (rpm was designed for redhat). Debian does support .deb files, but they are harder to find.

If you want a CD based installation (which runs OK, but is a little slow b/c of the speed of the CD) then go with this. If not, you may want to go to mandrake's site and try to download their new version 10... it was just released publically yesterday
teststrips
Geek Alumni

Postby liljim » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:28 am

I just ran this from the cd myself,i missed the details of being able to install it to hdd,my apologies.It ran fine for me,other than communicating with my modem properly.I've tried every option i could find for device but cant get past "initalizing modem".I understand that knoppix doesnt get along with winmodems,is there something i should try?
liljim

Postby teststrips » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:02 pm

no distribution of linux/unix plays well with winmodems. Winmodems don't have a hardware communication controller... all of the data conversion is done via software. To keep costs down they generally only develop drivers for one OS... windows.

Some people have hacked/cracked the windows drivers and ported them to linux, or even have created new ones from scratch, but they are generally not easy to install, and not something a linux newbee would be able to do. (one reason why i don't recommend linux yet for your main OS)

If you HAVE to have internet access in linux, i'd suggest getting an external serial modem. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=external+modem+us+56k&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch= I have 2 US Robotics modems, one which is now in my parent's computer, and the other acts as a fax machine on my computer (since i have broadband and no longer need it for internet)
teststrips
Geek Alumni

Postby liljim » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:10 pm

Ive been considering an external modem either way,guess i have more of a reason now.Im going to be running Mandrake distro (dual booting with Xp) before long so expect to hear from me with it.I have a brother that swears by it,so im going to let him install it to a seperate drive for me.
liljim

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix