It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm

access windows HD on linux

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

access windows HD on linux

Postby goo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:35 am

ey! is there any way to access my windows partition in linux? i know there's some way but i don't know what i should type... i'm using RedHat Linux i forgot the version and Windows 98 with a fat32 filesystem... thanks...
goo
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Skatoony » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:38 am

Linux doesn't really like windows partitions, thats why it creates its own partitions. I don't think there is any way to see the drive on linux, but thats my opinion.
Skatoony

followup...

Postby goo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:40 am

just a followup... could i use an internal modem with my linux? is there any way? i've heard only external modems can be used with linux... thanks...
goo
Geek
Geek

Postby Skatoony » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:43 am

Well I was able to use the Internal Modem I have in my laptop, detected it and all that. Never really "tested" it though, and its a laptop, so it might be different.
Skatoony

Postby goo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:52 am

hmmm... maybe mine will work too!... anyway... i still think i could mount my windows partition there... any ideas???thanks...
goo
Geek
Geek

Postby Skatoony » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:54 am

You will have to wait for some one else to post for that question, I'm not sure at all.
Skatoony

Postby Gecko » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:01 pm

Use Linuxconf for doing the following. You can start Linuxconf from the Gnome Programs Menu ->System Submenu or
from the K Menu or by typing 'linuxconf' at the prompt (bash).
Select Filesystems from the left panel.
Then click on Access local drives in the left panel.
You would be shown the current local filesystems that are recognized by Linux. Click on Add button
After clicking Add you will be presented with a tabbed window. In the tab named Base (This name might
change in future Linux distributions) enter the partition name as /dev/hda5 (hda5 is the one that I want).
Enter the type as vfat (this makes long file names to be recognized under Linux)
Select mount point as /mnt/win (Click yes if it asks you to create a directory)
In the tab named Options, Deselect 'Not mount at boot time' .. so that every time your machine starts this filesystem is available.
Also Uncheck 'read only'.. if you want to write to that partition from within Linux
Finish the settings by clicking on Ok or Finish.

Now the new File System (Your Windows partition) would be available under the folder /mnt/win

Note : Whatever changes you have made above would be seen in the file named /etc/fstab .
The fstab file basically presents all the filesystems information in a tabular form.
The new Windows partition that you just mounted would now be seen as a new row in this table.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby goo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:20 pm

thanks gecko!...
goo
Geek
Geek