It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 pm

New To Linux

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

New To Linux

Postby Fire_Storm24 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi ive just downloaded and installed linux suse 9.1 im totally new to this and dont have a clue how to set it up for internet connection. I'm in the uk and on NTL the problem is im connected via an ez connect usb to dual speed ethernet converter which is connected through my set top box does anyone know where i can get a driver from for it or would i have to ring NTL.........or failing that would it be easier to get a crossover rj45 cable and plug it directly into my network card. Any help would be grateful.
Fire_Storm24
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi Firestorm,

First let me say that im not great with linux but i can try to help you out a bit.I need a couple answers first,im not exactly sure of what NTL is but if i understand correctly your internet is fed through a rj45 then converted to usb using the device your needing drivers for.Would that be correct?

If so:

Considering that you have a network card installed,you shouldnt need the usb convertor at all nor a crossover cable.A standard rj45 cable coming from the internet reciver/modem, runing to the network card should work fine.From there you will have to configire your network card from within linux but i cant tell you where to go to do it.I dont know how suse is laid out,as i've only setup mandrake.

Post the manufactor and model # of the convertor and i will see if i can find you a driver but once again,it may not be needed.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby Fire_Storm24 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Ok NTL is my interenet service provide i also get satellite tv with them through a set top box/decoder my internet runs directly off of that box. The cabel i have has an adapter at each end of it if i remove the usb converter and plug it straight into the network card i lose my internet connection so im forced to use the adapter for it.

The manufacturer of the adapter is SMC and below that it says : SMC2206USB/ETH.
Fire_Storm24
Geek
Geek

Postby Axelation » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:02 am

From what you are saying, you have a set top box that acts like a cable modem. Hmmm. If you have a cross over cable that might be the easier route to go, or if you have a router or switch or even a hub, you can use that and a couple of ordinary ethernet cables. Linux was never really usb friendly, and even if you get the USB device to be recognized in Linux, setting it up for internet connection would be a nightmare. YAST is the configuration tool you will be looking for to set up your internet connection. But definately use RJ45. Less complicated.
Axelation
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby Fire_Storm24 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:11 am

Ok thanx for all your help ill give it a try and see what happens
Fire_Storm24
Geek
Geek