It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm

redhat 8: install problems, ISOs, etc...

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

redhat 8: install problems, ISOs, etc...

Postby goo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:13 pm

does anyone know how i can make this work? here's the situation: please be patient to read. i need help :D :

1. ive installed linux 2 times months ago. there was no problem. it ran smoothly. now, the only thing changed with my hardware is the usb keyboard(ps2 before). now when i boot from cd, after the "/sbin/loader" file loads, it should go to a blue screen that says "running anaconda". the problem is that the pc hangs during this time (blue screen, before the running anaconda message). i tried running "linux nousb" to disable usb support and it continues. seems my problem was solved... BUT:

2. after selecting all packages i want to install etc... during the actual copying of the packages (about 50 - 60%, sometimes even less!), the pc hangs. the mouse moves, but the cd wont eject. i already unplugged the usb keyboard before install and it still hangs. this happened 5 times.

3. the pc hangs DURING boot from cd process. when i use a FLOPPY BOOT DISK, there seems to be nothing wrong with the keyboard. but the pc still hangs on the installation process of copying packages.

4. maybe its a CD problem. i then tried the install from hard disk method. so i made 3 ISO images(named redhat1.ISO, redhat2...) using UltraISO (its an ISO image creator). i placed the ISOs on Drive C:\ (c:\redhat1.ISO, c:\redhat2.ISO...) BUT when i select the /dev/hda1 then the directory "/" the installer cant find the image. i tried placing them in a directory called "C:\temp\new\RedHat", like in the RedHat Documentation sample of this method. it still doesnt work. maybe there should be a specific filename? has anyone tried this method?

there... i hope someone has experienced this too. please help thanks... suggestions are welcome...

goo
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby PCguy » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:21 pm

I know this might sound simple, but have you tried installing it with a PS2 keyboard plugged in instead of the USB and then switching over to a USB one?
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby goo » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:34 am

thanks. i successfully installaed it using nousb and noprobe. when i go to boot linux, it just hangs. my ps2 port doenst work anymore. so i just removed the usb keyboard while booting and there was no problem.

but when i do install some pacakges off the cd, it hangs again... oh well... too bad...
goo
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix