It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am

dual booting with Suse?

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

dual booting with Suse?

Postby keybowvio » Sat May 13, 2006 4:14 pm

After looking at numerous screenshots. reading many how to's. and a ton of consideration. I think I've decided on tryiing out opensuse.

my only question is:

If I decide that i no longer want to use Suse, how do you go about reclaiming the HD space that you had Suse on?

thanks for your advice in advance
keybowvio
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: dual booting with Suse?

Postby Gecko » Sun May 14, 2006 11:33 am

keybowvio wrote: If I decide that i no longer want to use Suse, how do you go about reclaiming the HD space that you had Suse on?

Removing the grub or lilo boot loader is fairly easy.
Boot from your windows cd and enter the recovery counsel and log in to your windows.
At the command prompt type
Fixmbr and press enter reboot and the system will boot straight into windows.

Recovering the hdd space and the partition is a little more difficult depending on your Suse install.
If you installed Suse to a separate hdd then it’s pretty easy
Just disconnect your windows drive, boot from a win98 floppy, fdisk and format the Suse drive.

If you installed Suse to the same hdd as windows it can get a little tricky to recover the partition and space.
Your best bet at this point would be to get a partitioning program like Partition magic.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby keybowvio » Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 pm

thanks for the reply-
Recovering the hdd space and the partition is a little more difficult depending on your Suse install.
If you installed Suse to a separate hdd then it’s pretty easy

I have only one 250gig hardrive to install Suse on.

Your best bet at this point would be to get a partitioning program like Partition magic.

do i really need to use a program that expensive?

Are there any free programs available? I don't want to spend $70.00 on a program I may never use, this is still just an experiment for me.

also- you sounded like you thought that i had alreday installed suse and was trying to get rid of it, but I have not, i just started downloading it and researching about it. I just want to know everything about it, before I start messing up my computer.
keybowvio
Geek
Geek

Postby Gecko » Sun May 14, 2006 5:56 pm

Assuming that you are running Windows XP then you can use “Computer Management”
Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

In the left pane expand Storage now select Disk Management
From there you can delete the Suse partition or just format it to NTFS and you’ll have a window partition.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby keybowvio » Sun May 14, 2006 5:59 pm

thanks for the speedy reply, yes I am running xp.

now, Suse, full speed ahead!

EDIT:

the more I think the more questions I have:
If I delete and reformat the suse partition will my computer act like it did before I had a partition? or will I have I end up with two seperated areas on my hd? (stuff on one side is unreachable by the other)

also, about removing the bootloader- should I do that after or before I delete the Suse Partition? I would think after because if I did it before, my computer wouldn't know what to boot into, or would always boot into the same hd, am I correct?

-thanks
keybowvio
Geek
Geek

Postby keybowvio » Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm

now that I know how to remove Suse from my comp. I find it only neccasary to ask how to put it on my comp:

After running a defrag I have found out that I have a permanant file at (or close to) the end of my hard drive, making it impossible to partitiion the drive for suse.

After reading a little I found out that I need to disable the system virtual memory and then reconfigure it after the installation. How do you do that?
keybowvio
Geek
Geek

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix