It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Dual Boot?

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

Dual Boot?

Postby nicholasp7 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:41 am

Can I dual boot Ubuntu with windows XP? If so, I have a 160GB HD, should I partition it 100GB for windows and 60GB for Linux? Is it worth it?
nicholasp7
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:38 pm

yes you can dual boot pretty easy but theres a process to it. 100 gigs for windows is fine so what you would need to do is create that partition first and install windows on it, leaving the other 60 gigs unpartitioned. Once windows is installed you can start installing Ubuntu and allow it to create the partition it needs from the remaining space. Linux uses a completely different file system that should create 3 partitions using the 60 gigs you will have available. The installation is just as easy as windows in my opinion.

You asked, "is it worth it" and i say yes it is. I would encourage most anyone who's pretty familiar with windows to try out linux. I would love to see it become more of a mainstream OS as a competitor for microsoft. Its an amazing OS that just takes some getting use to. Good Luck on your install and let us know if you need any help.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby Gecko » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 pm

nicholasp7,

Let me add that if you have Partition Magic then you can partition your drive without having to reinstall windows.
I have done this many times and have never had a problem, it works like a charm.

As for the Ubuntu Linux OS I too would recommend that you try it.
I have a dedicated Linux system running Fedora Server that I use for testing php programming. :D
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby nicholasp7 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:07 pm

well i dont have that and i cant afford to spend money just to get it. I will just keep it in mind I guess the next time I have to re-install windows. Unless there are freeware partition tools.
nicholasp7
Geek
Geek

Postby Gecko » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:07 am

Well I've never tried it but there is Partition Logic it is free and their sites say it can do it.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby nicholasp7 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 am

It seems like it is a lot to do, but I am doing my best.
nicholasp7
Geek
Geek

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix