It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am

My New Toy PC

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

My New Toy PC

Postby Axelation » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Well I couldn't resist the temptation of buying one of the Asus Eee PC's.
I got the 2G surf model for 249 bucks online, and I have to say I am not too disappointed with it so far. Itcomes stock with a Linux distro similar to ubuntu called Xandros, but I bought a 16Gb SDHC card for it and loaded up Backtrack 3 final. Making this seemingly kid's toy laptop a dual-booting 2lbs of hacker heaven. Small, very light and portable, but powerful enough to pwn with the big dogs. And to rid myself of evidence in a jam, the SDHC card is small and fragile enough to destroy in seconds! Ah ha!!! Take that you snoopy feds!!! LOL
"You don't know it yet, but.......You are sharing your secrets....One packet at a time."
Axelation
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: My New Toy PC

Postby liljim » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:59 am

what are the specs on those? I would kinda like to have one on a mount in my truck. I have to do GPS mapping of fields from time to time with a Trimble PDA but a mini notebook would be much better for me i think.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Re: My New Toy PC

Postby Axelation » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:16 pm

The one I have is a 2Gb surf model, but you can get larger capacity ones.

This one has a 2Gb solid state drive, 512 Mb Ram, 6 inches of viewable screen, 3 usb ports, 1 sd card reader, vga out.

Its real minimal, but you can get these with a 10 inch screen and like 80Gb hard drives and all that. For work purposes check out the Eee PC 1000 or the 901. Might be easier to deal with for you than this one. I got this one because of it's stripped down nature since I like the ability to swap between operating systems stored on my SD Cards. Removable, destroyable media is always a plus for me. LOL

You can find the other models for less than 600 bucks all over the net.
"You don't know it yet, but.......You are sharing your secrets....One packet at a time."
Axelation
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Thanks received:0

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix