It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:19 am

HOLY MOTHER OF !$#%@

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

HOLY MOTHER OF !$#%@

Postby Technocrat » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:33 am

Oh man, my computer seems to be completely fried. Apparently, the file <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupted. In addition, when I pop in the XP install disc, the pc doesn't detect it. Even worse, I don't know or can't access the C: from MS DOS. WHAT THE FREAK! Can anybody out there plz help me? Are the connections messed up, are there commands or an alternative path to access the C: from MS DOS or the recovery console, ARE THERE ANY WHO CAN HELP ME? :mad:
Technocrat

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby NaTaS » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:17 am

Make your your BIOS is set to boot from CD first. You can usually access your bios options from hitting the DEL key or F1 before it attempts to load Windows. When you boot up look for the key it tell you to hit. Find something like "Boot Sequence". Make sure it reads CD, Harddrive, floopy or something to that effect. You want the CD to be first.

On booting you should see a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD..." pretty any key.

Once youre able to get in via the CD. Run the repair Option for Windows "R", Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair (Normally its 1.) then type bootcfg /list - then tybe /bootcfg /rebuild to rebuild it.

After, remove the XP cd and type 'exit' to restart your machine. Try booting into Windows.
NaTaS
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby Technocrat » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:00 pm

well...i tried it but it didn't work. when i pressed R, i entered the XP recovery console. when and how do i press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair (Normally its 1.). Just 1? there is no prompt screen telling me to do that. also, when i was in the recovery console i ran the check disk console but the result was that it detected one or more unrecoverable error in the hard drive. does that mean that the hard drive is dead? will formatting it help?
Technocrat

Postby sixpac » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:22 am

sixpac

Re: HOLY MOTHER OF !$#%@

Postby fishkorp » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:22 pm

Technocrat wrote:can't access the C: from MS DOS.

if your windows partition is NTFS or FAT32 a DOS bootdisk won't help (unless you install 3rd party software on the bootdisk). There are lots of utils and tools out there that can boot from CD and check everything and recover files, however i'm not aware of any that are free. i'm at work right now so i don't have names, but if you're interested i can reply again later. if the checkdisk came up with unrecoverable errors, i suggest salvaging any important data you can and then RMAing the drive if it's under warranty, if not, you probably should buy a new drive.
fishkorp

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix