It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:45 am

New pc build

All computer hardware support

New pc build

Postby b2567 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi was wondering if any one could give me some information that would help me out as im a total beginner when it comes to this . I am planing on building a pc from scratch and i am wanting to build a case out of wood as i have seen some really nice ones and have spare wood lying around and what im looking to get some info on is what is the best way of making a case from wood eg how to stop it overheating and setting on fire just anything people could help with would be great ,im thinking of building a cube shape case as i think it would look im also looking to have like 2 sliding door panels on 2 of the sides so that can get easy access into the case if needs be and also have the psu motherboard i o shield all on the back of the case which means i want to lay everything on the bottom of the cube so would i need to put the motherboard on a metal panel like in normal pc cases ?? also what type of fans should i use ? also how would i keep noise down also i red somewhere someone mention about being able to shield EMI how would i go about that problem ? , if any would like some more information im more than happy to help as best as i can and i hope someone can help me out :)
b2567

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: New pc build

Postby Gecko » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 pm

The first thing I would consider would be the common grounding.
In a metal case the motherboard is ground through it's mounting holes with solder covered pads for contact. Same goes for the power supply, optical drive and any other peripheral that mounts directly to metal that is connected to the motherboard

You might be able to use the existing mounting plate from your current case for the motherboard and then solder wires to the PSU and other peripherals threaded mount point, soldering to a threaded screw on the item and the MB mounting plate.

EMI shielding on the other hand might be a challenge if you do indeed need it. All components are already FCC approved for EMI so the only thing that might cause interference would be the CPU and if the heat-sink is on top the you should be OK.
If you do get some interference on wireless or maybe a wired device you will need to construct some type of metal shielding device.

As for noise, wood will be much quieter, wood is a good natural sound absorber.

The other things to consider would be good ventilation and air flow, metal is a good thermal conductor wood is not.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Return to Hardware