Need Halp

PC games, console games, reviews and comments

Moderator: venney

Need Halp

Postby alcapwn » Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 am

Computer Specs are:

i5 @ 2.67 GHz
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 465 1024MB DDR5 (x2 in SLI if I can get this figured out)
All on an MSI p55 MB
PSU Antec 750w

The current problem I am having is with graphics performance. I was a little under-whelmed while playing with 1 GTX 465, so I figured I'd upgrade to SLI. But, after popping the new GC into place and firing up my rig, i get a hardly noticeable bump in FPS, and the video rendering is still not seeming fluid to me. I have already contacted EVGA about this, and they said I should benchmark each card individually, but I don't have benchmarking software.

Previous solutions I have tried:
Reinstalling Drivers
Taking SLI bridge off, reinstalling drivers, and replacing the bridge after the reboot.
Turning my graphics settings down (which I feel I shouldn't need to do :flame: )

Any suggestions or tips to another post with solutions would be greatly appreciated.
alcapwn

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Need Halp

Postby liljim » Sun May 29, 2011 6:41 pm

make sure sli is enabled in your nvidia control panel and to benchmark them you can use VideoCardStabilityTestSetup.exe. Just dont bother installing the bundled screensaver.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby alcapwn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 am

SLI is definitely enabled. I am having a computer store install my new i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz 2600k, an 850w psu, a 64gb SSD and I'm having them run a burn in test and benchmark. hopefully it was just 'bottlenecking' through the CPU? If I have any more issues afterward, I will definitely update. Thank you for the reply though. Will keep this updated
alcapwn

Postby liljim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

that cpu shouldnt have bottle necked you at all but yes, keep us updated
liljim

Postby alcapwn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Ok, i7 installed, everything all set up. Still had the video seem jerky. I updated te sli profile and changed a few settings in the nvidia control panel. Black Ops is playable, but I'm still feeling kind of unimpressed. I know that game is broken though, so it could just be Black Ops. World of Warcraft will run at 100+ fps on ultra. Runs smooth with vsync on. I've got money to burn, thinking about picking up a gtx 580 superclocked. Would that be better than 465's in 2-way sli? I'm just getting sick of burning money with minimal improvements. Just figure I will upgrade as hard as I can afford to.
alcapwn

Postby alcapwn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 am

And ran the benchmark software. Currently in SLI with the i7 2600k, scored a 945. Idk this software, but I hope that helps you
alcapwn

Postby liljim » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:06 pm

945 is pretty damn good, my old trusty 8800gt hits for 585. As far as the 580 vs 2 460s, its really a coin toss. The 2 460s should be more than enough to run anything on a shelf right now.

You can swing throughhttp://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit and run the full test there. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can run anonymously. Creating an account saves all your test though. There test gives pretty good info about your rig and comparisons to others.
liljim

Postby alcapwn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 am

I think I may have a pretty good solution to this, I think what I was seeing was 'tearing' because of my LG 23'' wide LCD. The refresh rate is only 60hz, and I think my graphics is just pushing more than my outdated monitor can handle. Have an Acer 24'', which will be here tomorrow morning :), and it's refresh rate is 120hz with a 2ms response time. I will keep you filled in on whether or not it helps. And as for CoD: BO, Treyarch dropped the ball, and for me at least, I don't see myself playing another game from that dev again. Unless they do some serious re-structuring and can redeem themselves.

Side note, I did pick up the 580. Wow! Thing screams. Getting better performance out of just the 1 GPU than I did with 2 465's in SLI. That bad ma'ama jamma pushed out 1704 on that benchmark by itself! I am very happy with this card. Will still keep you updated on my progress, and hopefully I will be done forking out cash on this dream machine for quite some time. Appreciate the insight. I think I still need to adjust a few things to maximize performance, but for now, I am pretty certain it's just the one game that's causing me all the trouble
alcapwn

Postby liljim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:41 am

Thats a nice rig man, 1704 is unreal. Yea i think you will be set for several years to come, no doubt. Let me know what difference the new screen makes, ive been wanting a new one myself and kinda undecided on what i want but what you ordered sounds great.
liljim

Postby alcapwn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:12 am

I've decided to give up on CoD: BO. Horrible dev failure on Treyarch's end. Game runs poorly for no reason. Fugly game imho. But anyway, monitor straightened the screen tearing out immediately once I put it on that sweet 120hz and changed the resolution to 1920x1080. 8) Couldn't be much happier with my rig atm.

This monitor is great, I'm at work, so no model number off-hand. But it will run a few bills. Picked it up for just under 400, but shipping ran me 82 dollars. Ouch. As I said though, couldn't be happier. It's also 3D ready and hdmi hdcp ready. I am extremely pleased with Acer.

Hopefully it will hold up for several years! Haha. I've spent too much getting it to this point. I just can't wait for the 600 gpus to come out so hopefully the price on the 580's drops. 2-way SLI, mm, much love.

Hopefully my lack of knowledge of quality monitors helps you help others in the future. All along I could've saved a fortune just getting a monitor, but meh. Now I have a beast that will rip through any game I throw at it. Again, thanks for all your help.
alcapwn

Postby liljim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 pm

well its a rare event for someone to over power their screen but apparently you were in the elite group lol. I appreciate you posting everything you done, it indeed helps us all. Going over machines like this make me realize just how outdated my rig is but it also shows the power of amd/nvidia. My old 8800gt and amdX2 3 gig will still run anything on the shelf too. However im only doing it at 1280 X 1024 @75HTz :) A new monitor will show me just what i cant do probably lol
liljim

Return to Gamers Lounge