It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:20 am

bioshock

PC games, console games, reviews and comments

Moderator: venney

bioshock

Postby liljim » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:29 am

anyone playing?

I've finished it and have some mixed feelings about it.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:12

Postby saunt » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:15 pm

i've played it quite alot, but haven't finished yet, but i think i'm at the end fight (i.e fontane) which seems kinda hard!

i really liked the idea of bioshock, but i think it basically boils down to a fairly standard first person shooter. i think there was huge potential to do more with the game, and i felt it was getting somewhat samey. i just knew the best gun and plasmid combo to kill the splicers with, and used that over and over again, so i did get a little bored in some respects.

however, the story line was interesting and involving, and the graphics were pretty damn sweet. i liked that the developers had made an effort not to just make another half-life or doom style game.

so overall would say its a good solid game, and i would recommend it, but just don't expect too much!!

you say you have mixed feelings? what did u think?
Spanish Castle Magic.
saunt

Thanks received:0

Postby venney » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:06 pm

i just got a copy of it... and i think its ok. I think the revolver is rubbish, but ive only played 20 mins or so as ive been busy.
But seems good at the moment if im honest.
Graphics look good enough. Wish i knew more about rapture, but maybe i will find out the more i play.

i give it thumbs up though :)

"Float like a butterfly.
Sting like a bee.
Your hands can't hit
what your eyes can't see."
Muhammad Ali
venney

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby liljim » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:28 am

I did think the storyline was extremely well put together. Theres a point where you just cant help but say "damn, didnt see that coming". Venney, you'll see that after a couple hours in.

I thought the graphics was pretty impressive but i have issues with the game play itself. Vita Chambers just took away the challenge for me. I never felt like i had to be concerned about getting killed, there was always a chamber nearby to throw you right back in the game. Think about how much more intense this game would be without them.

Another thing i wasnt crazy about was the hacking procedure, since when is plumbing and hacking related to each other? I really liked the ability to hack things but re-routing pipes wasnt how i thought it would be done.

The weapons were decent, much better after the upgrades start coming into play. Venney, you'll come to appreciate the revolver with anti-personel rounds as you go also. Just keep in mind, headshots make a difference.

Theres more to say but im afraid to spoil anything for those not finished yet.

saunt, when you finish it, you can pm me your thoughts on the ending. I wont talk about it here yet but i'd love to share my opinion on it.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby saunt » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:11 pm

Another thing i wasnt crazy about was the hacking procedure

Agreed. I forgot to mention that earlier. like you say, it was good to be able to hack a camera or turret, but the actual pipes thing is pretty poor. you spent half the game just doing that!

Vita Chambers just took away the challenge for me

I didn't actually ever use them. I just used the quick save and quick load. Did any one else have ridiculously long loading times? Haven't had a chance to play again but will pm you when i get round to it!

Venney, the pistol can be good if u use a plasmid, such a lightning bolt to stun the enemy, then run right up to them and pop them in the head. works a treat!
Spanish Castle Magic.
saunt

Postby venney » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Quote:
Vita Chambers just took away the challenge for me

I didn't actually ever use them. I just used the quick save and quick load. Did any one else have ridiculously long loading times? Haven't had a chance to play again but will pm you when i get round to it!

Lol, i actually agree with all of that, both what liljim said and marc.
I just use quick load and save as im used to it in games like hl2 etc, but yes i the vita chambers does compeltly take away the challange of the game doesnt it. When i had the demo, i found that i died, and i was stood in a vita chamber watching baddies run around me, i could just pop out kill some, if i died id do it again.

And yea, its not much of a 'quick load' is it.

"Float like a butterfly.
Sting like a bee.
Your hands can't hit
what your eyes can't see."
Muhammad Ali
venney

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby th3_d0n » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 am

Hey guys.

I did thoroughly enjoy the story to Bioshock, and the graphics were good too, but I did have a few problems with it.

First of all, the fact that was only the story mode to it. I think maybe some sort of Online Deathmatch mode would have been really fun, especially with the plasmids.

Another, as mentioned before the hacking. No need to detail there.

Also, did anyone try melting ice that was on the ceiling with the fire plasmid? For a game like this, what happens is so bad. If you melt ice on the floor, it turns to liquid, then evaporates and gradually disapears, no problems there. If you do this to ice on the ceiling, it does the same thing...the ice melts into the ceiling. Surely glaring faults like that shouldn't be in a game like that?

I was really looking forward to the game before it came out. The story line was great, and the idea was really good, but I don't think it was all it could have been.
th3_d0n
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Return to Gamers Lounge