It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Windows 98 Restore

Any other legacy version of Windows

Moderator: icecube

Windows 98 Restore

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:13 pm

:?: I have a Windows 98 machine that will just boot to MS-DOS. I think someone deleted a bunch of files and now it will not boot into Windows. Is there any way of doing a restore without losing the info on this Hard Drive???
Muddy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby PCguy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:50 pm

If you have the Win98 CD, just install Windows 98 in the same place it used to be. If it asks you to overwrite any files, just say no. No info should be lost except any that has already been deleted.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Are you saying reinstall windows over the old version? I'm kind of lost with what your telling me! I need to pull stuff off the HD so maybe I should just slave this thing to another Computer?
Muddy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby PCguy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:07 am

Muddy wrote:Are you saying reinstall windows over the old version? I'm kind of lost with what your telling me! I need to pull stuff off the HD so maybe I should just slave this thing to another Computer?

Yes I am saying reinstall Windows over the old version. However, if you can connect this HD to another computer to pull off stuff you need, do that first. It's a good saftey net.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby icecube » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:00 am

Usually when 98 boots into DOS mode, you are really in the Windows 98 dos mode.

From the Dos mode, hit [ALT] and [Enter] at the same time. Then close out the DOS prompt screen. This should fix it
icecube

Postby Muddy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:14 pm

When I hook the Windows 98 HD to my XP System with a IDE Adapter it sees the drive as MS-DOS_6 and when you click on it you see a folder that says DOS ans a Virtual Device Driver File which is WINA20.386 any ideas how to access the My Documents Folder from here?
Muddy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby Muddy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:29 am

:( So I reinstalled Windows 98SE over the old copy, I didn't fdisk or fomat so it should have saved all the info in the My Docs Folder but it seems to be gone. Now I see where it says Volume in drive C: is MS-DOS_6. Is my info still there are am I out of luck. From what I've been reading the MS-DOS_6 thing has something to do with FAT16. Can I somehow change this back to FAT32 and see my old files? I did slave this Hard Drive to my XP Machine and it still calls the drive MS-DOS_6, and shows those same two things. The DOS folder and the Virtual Device Driver file WINA20.386. This is freaking me out!!!!!
Muddy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby icecube » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:53 pm

the file WINA20.386 is only needed for windows 3.1. The MS-DOS_6 is the name of the hard drive. and has nothing to do with whether or not its fat32 or fat16. It should be fat 32 if you just reinstalled.

Off of the root directory, you should have several directorys. one should be windows and another should be "My documents" Are they there?

If you hook it up to another machine as a slave, you should be able to access the directory structure. What directorys are present?
icecube

Postby Muddy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 am

:) Thanks for the help! After thinking about it I just did a clean install of 98SE so all the stuff that was lost just didn't matter. I gave the Computer to my Sister so all is well now! Thanks Again!!!! Muddy!
Muddy
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Re: Windows 98 Restore

Postby drotin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 am

:(
drotin

Return to Other Windows