It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Whether to install Linux on my old PC.

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

Whether to install Linux on my old PC.

Postby mbdixon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 am

I'm in the process of building a new PC for gaming and am trying to decide whether to install Linux on this PC but am not sure if I can do what I want. Any advice would be helpful.

Firstly, this PC is a 3GHz P4, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HD (Seagate maybe), 256MB Nvidia Geforce FX 5950, 19" Multisync Monitor. I have a copy of SUSE 10.0 which I will install. Internet connection is a 15Mb/sec Fibre.

Can I use the Linux machine as a print server, I have a Lexmark X7170 all in one which I will connect to the Linux box and need to be able to print from the Windows PC, also, would I be able to scan from both or would that cause problems.

I was also considering using the Linux PC as a mail server, connecting to my verizon email account downloading all mails and then connecting to the Linux box from the Windows PC to retieve emails. Would this be over complicating things. My Linux/Unix skill are very basic but I flet this would be a good way to improve them.

I was also thinking of using it for file storage.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
mbdixon

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby PCguy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 am

Yes this would complicate things.

However, this would also be a great chance to learn alot. So if you can and want to do it, I say go for it. :)
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby Axelation » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:23 am

Yes.....go for it. You can easily do this with Ubuntu Linux. It is easy to set up, the networking features are easy to use, and it is by far the best Distro I have used....And I have tried a bunch before this one. There is also tons of support for it.
"You don't know it yet, but.......You are sharing your secrets....One packet at a time."
Axelation
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Even ubuntu crashes sometimes..

Postby Softix » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:02 am

hi...

seems like u want to have fun with linux... ubuntu in good, you even get a free cd on subscription... but at times for me, it crashed..

so if u got that prob, you shall try
pc linux OS
or
mepis os
or for simplicity
freespire!! enjoy!
Softix

Re: Whether to install Linux on my old PC.

Postby thomasbrian » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 am

I would personally NOT upgrade the hardware [of an old PC]. Instead, I would upgrade the operating system (OS) to something like Peanut Linux, Small Linux or even Corel Linux. These distributions will make an old Pentium 'sing a new song.' There are several small downloadable versions of the Linux OS that are geared at older and ailing Pentium/486/386 class of computers.
thomasbrian

Re: Whether to install Linux on my old PC.

Postby alfred26 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

I also suggest you that please go for it. i think You can easily do this with Ubuntu Linux.
alfred26
Geek
Geek

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix