It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Windows Update - Something Odd

Support for any program including installing and running

Moderator: liljim

Windows Update - Something Odd

Postby JK17 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 am

I just recently purchased an older version of Microsoft Office 2007 and it runs great on my Windows 7 Pro OS. (I bought on Amazon Marketplace and got it super cheap for not even being used!)
About a day later I got some Microsoft Word updates in Windows updates. At first I didn't think much, but then the following day I got over 40 more updates O_o I allowed and nothing negative has happened. Well now I'm getting version 2010 of Microsoft Office even though I have 2007? Why am I getting updates for an different version? I could just see Microsoft screwing 2007 over and involuntary downloading and installing it. I already had this with Win 10 OS. Since then I'm paranoid about Windows Updates. In fact, I've had files, specifically documents, corrupted because it was updating and had some error or shut down without warning? I'm suppose to get notification and I've checked in the settle, but on one PC it just shut down and restarted regardless O_o

Has anyone gotten any updates for another version of a software you have? Or have you had weird shit with Windows Updates? I know it makes it easier to get updates, but it feels so sneaky and deceptive to me. I like my PC how it is setup and many updates tend to alter/change my settings *growls*
JK17

Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Windows Update - Something Odd

Postby Gecko » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Any additional versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable you see on your system were installed along with some program that required it, maybe even MS office itself. When a developer codes in a specific version of Visual C++, the code libraries for that version must also be present on the user’s system for the application to run. That means, for example, if a developer used Visual C++ 2010 (or Visual Studio 2010) to create a program you’re installing, you can expect to see the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installed on your system along with the program.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Return to Misc. Software